Wednesday 21 January 2015

In Response to Taiwo Akinlami's Hard Choices pt 1

Taiwo Akinlami is a Child Protection expert in Nigeria and he recently wrote post titled Hard Choices (18/01/15).  Now if you have ever read his posts, he could be called a poet, I just love how he writes and even speaks.  To get the full gist of what he wrote I refer you to his post https://taiwoakinlami.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/hard-choices

I am however going to go through each of his points here so you can see the hard choices I have made, where I am struggling and what I am learning along the way.

First choice:  To have children or not to.  As he puts it, “gone are those days when we have children for any other reason than being ready to effectively protect and raise them properly, knowing what to do per time, how and when to do it and the fortitude to do it”.

My answer and my choice: Unfortunately, I don’t think those days are gone at all.  When I was much younger (under ten years old) I thought I would have ten children because I love children (babies really).  When I was in my teens I stopped at two, especially when I watched someone in labour on TV, at some point I even thought I wouldn't put myself through the pain of labour, I would rather adopt.  In my early 20s I felt I was a total mess and wouldn't make a good mother.  Besides the world was just so cruel, why would anyone want to bring forth children in such a world?

Now if I wasn’t going to have children would there be any need to get married?  Nah…Marriage wasn’t an option for me at all.  I was going to be a career woman and not bother some poor dude out there with who I was; I really was a mental and emotional mess at the time.  However we grow and we develop and change and along the line I met my best friend and husband and nothing was going to stop me from marrying him.  Well with marriage comes the - should I call it - natural instinct to want to have children.  Of course, the prayers that came my way then were for me to have lots children.  My husband and I were living in different continents early on in our marriage so having children was not on our minds.  I wasn’t going to raise children as if I was a single parent when I wasn’t.  However family and friends alike were profusely praying for us and asking if all was well. 

However I continue to advice couples not to have children immediately you get married.  Take out sometime to enjoy and know each other and in the process prepare the home for the new arrivals that will eventually come.  I cannot say that I could totally be as articulate as TA states; I took it for granted that I should be ready to protect and raise them.  And this is the mainstream attitude to having children; like me I see so many people out there who just want to get married and have children because that is the way of the world; that’s what society demands, after all the Bible says “be fruitful and multiply”.  Not too many people are asking what to be fruitful in or what to multiply.  This is just translated that you have many children.  It is the economic situation around the world that is putting some sense to the amount of children people have these days.  So “almost” gone are those days when couples had 6 – 10 children.

But are people sincerely asking the fundamental questions TA states?
“What is the purpose of multiplication, is it to achieve population or dominion, is life a game of numbers or a game of dominion through values, etc?”

I’ll be honest; I did not deeply think about that when I was going to have children.  It was after I gave birth to my first child that the task ahead really dawned on me.  There were aspects of my upbringing that I felt should have been done better and I had to determine to do that for my children.  When my 10 month old son picked up his plate after eating and took it to the kitchen, it really dawned on me that he was copying what he saw, then I had to start thinking of what I wanted him to copy.  Had I articulated my personal values before I started having children?  Nope.  It was when I was pregnant that I got hold of some leadership books and I started reading.  Application became the next step and I am still developing.  Luckily my children are still very young, so as I develop I can model what I want them to copy from me.


If you had the patience to get to the end of this post, please do follow the continuation where I will continue with the next Hard Choices by TA

Have a beautiful day 

From the Homemaker....

No comments:

Post a Comment