Sunday 18 January 2015

Mrs Madonna Poulagha Porbeni (nee Afekafe)

The Porbeni Matriarch said good night on January 8 2014.  didn't even get to say good bye apart from me calling her on New Year’s Day promising to spend the weekend with her.  She was my grandmother, such a beautiful woman.  A homemaker par excellence!  In her honour, I present her as the homemaker of the month of January.

The very first time I met her I called her aunty.  My perception of grandmother meant that she had to be old.  I met her when she was in her sixties but she looked so young, there was no way she could be my grandma.  So I kept going to my grand-dad’s first wife’s room thinking she was my grandma.  In a way she was, wasn't she?  In case you are wondering what I am talking about, in my grandma’s time polygamy seemed to be the order of the day, so my grandma was my grandpa’s third wife and she was by his side till the end of his life.  My grandparents celebrated their 58th year anniversary in the year I got married, that was in 2006.  I have a picture of them in my living room and I hold it up as a milestone to beat should God give us grace to see beyond that time.

Oma, as she was fondly called which is German for grandma, was a homemaker; it was the norm in her days.  She told me she had wanted to be a nurse and she would have trained in the United Kingdom but my granddad could not leave her because there was nowhere to leave his beautiful wife.  Even in their old age my Opa did not like to leave her to go out on her own (smile).  She was a trained seamstress and she upheld very high standards till her old age.  I did not really get to see her work because by the time I met her she had stopped sewing due to her failing eye sight.  But the indications were there that she was very good at what she did.  I remember her sending me to her tailor to sew something for her, she had cut the material already to the length and style she wanted and given specific instructions on what to do.  Now only someone who knew the trade well could do that.  Then she was always looking out for new styles and checking out what the younger generation was wearing and probably seeing how she could adapt the styles to her age.
My Oma was fashionable to the very end of her life.  On Saturday she would have picked out her outfit ready for church the next day; double wrappers to match the head tie and a lovely blouse to go.  Her jewellery as well as her shoes and bag had to go well with what she wore.    

As a person she was really lovely, loving and caring.  She never forgot a birthday even my children’s birthdays and she always called me on my wedding anniversary.  I remember when I had my first child, I had him on a Tuesday and she took a cab to my house on Saturday to see me.  She put me on her lap and cuddled me before she saw the baby (my eyes are welling up with tears as I write this).

How I miss you so, my wonderful Oma.  When I found out my daughter had clubfoot, I couldn’t tell her because I knew she would be worried.  She eventually found out and she really was worried.  She was sorry that I had to go through the whole stress of my daughter’s treatment.  However, my daughter started walking in December 2013 and she was overjoyed to see her walk.  The last time I went to spend the weekend with her in December she was seriously playing with my little children and it was such a heart-warming sight to see.  She had not long before gone for a cataract removal so she could see them clearly.

My Oma, I miss you so much and I love you dearly…..




No comments:

Post a Comment