Thursday 8 January 2015

To thyself be true....

I cannot overemphasize on the difficulty of being a stay at home homemaker.  Imagine all your degree certificates gathering dust and you've probably lost confidence of getting a job.....As I said, staying home doesn't have to last forever it's all about time and seasons; a time to stay at home and take care of the family and a time to build a career.  It does take some planning though.

So a few years ago, I am beginning to itch.  I need to get out and do something and I do have something in my head about what I would like to do, only it's not going to raise any funds in the short term.  Then while I am thinking about it I get a call for a job offer.  Wow!  Without applying anywhere someone out there thinks I am capable enough to do this job.  It sounded exciting so why not give it a try?  I go on trip to Abuja leaving my breastfeeding baby at home with my mum for a few days and I go for training to start the job.

I loved everything the organisation stood for and that should have been enough reason to do the job right?  Well not quite.  It just wasn't my thing to be honest.  This was a kind of organisation I would support if  had the money but the job was showing more of my weaknesses than my strengths.  That wasn't a confidence builder at all.  

To be honest, I did not feel I could do it from the outset, so why did I take the job in the first place?  I was thinking of what people would think of me if I didn't take the job.  "Lazy homemaker, she just doesn't want to do anything..  Can you imagine she got a job just by sitting at home while there are so many people who would die for the same opportunity".  I remember speaking with my best friend who said just that.  "You are just being lazy and whinny".  I also thought of the much needed funds that would come to me.  So why not take up the challenge I told myself.  

I lasted only two and a half months doing the job.  I didn't do it as I ought and I was not happy with myself.  There is dignity in labor goes the saying.  I had some nice cash but I wasn't proud of getting it because I did not think I had earned it.

So what is the the lesson to be learnt here.  You will leave home in due course but don't rush at the first job that comes your way, it might not be yours and you'll be really unhappy at it.  It's not all about money you know.  You want to do something that you will enjoy doing and feel proud about doing as well.  Never mind what people are going say or think.  Either way, people will always talk and they are entitled to their opinions and you are entitled to your happiness.

My dear homemaker, be true to yourself and forget about the wagging tongues......

Until next time, stay blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment